As announced by officials over the past several days, we’re sure you’re aware that there are confirmed cases of COVID-19, caused by the novel coronavirus, in New York State including cases in Monroe, Saratoga and surrounding counties. Currently, Webster CSD and Galway CSD and their communities do NOT have any confirmed cases of COVID-19, nor does anyone in our martial arts classes. Furthermore, we are not aware of any student with symptoms. As this situation continues to evolve, we want to share the following information and changes to our current martial arts programs with you.
GEMA dojos are working with the school districts, towns and the Webster Parks and Recreation to discuss best practices, decisions, and ongoing strategies to keep our students, staff, and families healthy during the emerging public health situation. Currently there are no plans to cancel GEMA classes. However, that could change at any given moment.
Our districts, towns, Webster Parks & Recreation personnel, and all GEMA instructors are taking several steps to limit exposure, mitigate health risks, and be as cautious as possible while still supporting the healthy operation of our classes. To that end, the following changes are effective immediately:
- Webster Parks & Recreation has provided us with disinfectant spray and hand sanitizer.
- All students will be required to wash or sanitize their hands prior to the beginning of class, once during class break and at the end of class.
- We are implementing a “no contact – no touch” policy for all students and instructors. Do not touch any other person in the dojo.
- Keep your distance. Do not go closer than 6 feet to any person in the dojo.
- If you do not feel good, have cold symptoms or think you’re sick do not come to class.
- If you are coughing or sneezing during class, you may be asked to not participate.
- Sparring, self-defense, and other training that requires partners has been suspended till further notice.
- If you or family members have traveled to the New York City area or outside of the U.S., please inform a black belt instructor.
- Our curriculum is being modified to provide training for sparring, self-defense, and other partner activities without the need of a partner while those activities are suspended.
Please be aware that it’s possible that the schools, towns, Webster Parks and Recreation center and GEMA classes could be canceled at any given moment based on the severity of this issue. While the constant news cycle surrounding Coronavirus can feel uncertain, it’s important to stay calm and follow good hygiene practices (hand washing for 20 seconds is still the best method of prevention).
Although it’s unfortunate that we must modify class instruction, these modifications allow us the opportunity to introduce to students some new and exciting things that we think you’ll all enjoy.
We will use our social media outlets (website, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Remind) to keep you informed of updates that impact our classes and training.
Thank you in advance for your understanding and cooperation.
Chris Malley, Master Instructor, Webster and Galway NY.
Matt McSain, Head Instructor, Webster NY.
Comments powered by CComment